Tuesday, September 4, 2007

RDB 2 "Role Models"


Every person is essentially a mosaic, a unique piece of artwork created from his or her own personal situations and experiences. Growing up in a family of seven children has enabled me to appreciate this individuality and has left me with a yearning to discover it in everyone. Although I have not always agreed with the paths that my siblings have taken, I now respect them for the people they have become and believe that I owe a little piece of myself to each of their successes, failures, and personalities that they have passed along to me. It is because I do not feel that I would be who I am today without the influence of each and every one of them in my life that I consider Franny, Hubert, Mary, Ginny, Adriana, and Gabriella each a distinct and important influence and example of who I want to become.

Franny and Hubert are the two rebellious members of the family. While their early days consisted of endless parties and a constant need to break the rules, they have been successful in redeeming themselves over the years. Since the days when Hubert found it necessary to throw Franny out of a window, they have both graduated from college, settled down, and started a family. I admire Franny for her adventurous character. Maybe embracing the spirit of Austin a little too much during her college days, she never failed to be involved with all of the exciting and controversial things occurring on campus. Amidst all of the chaos, she managed to become a strong, courageous, determined, and genuine person. She is hard worker with undying love for her family and friends. Hubert defied all expectations when he graduated from college and went on to receive a law degree from TCU. His unique sense of humor and sincere concern or those around him have made him both successful in the business and social aspects of his life. He is passionate about his family and is a great husband and father. Both Hubert and Franny have inspired me to seek companions in places I normally would not. Just as Julius Whittier discovered, they have encouraged me to “treat persons as individuals because they are all different” (6)

Of the older siblings, I am closest to Mary and Ginny. They both are the most enthusiastic and charismatic people I know. Mary lets her love for children shine through her as she works as a child psychologist. Her upbeat attitude and unwavering spirit allow those around her to become immediately at ease. Much like Chad Oliver’s example of Dr. Mac, Mary “throws herself into (life), heart, mind, and soul” (7). Ginny is already and engineer and now is an aspiring nurse. She has an honest desire to help others and constantly seeks those out that need her assistance. Her smile brightens up any room and she is the most trustworthy person I know. “I have (openly) shared my hopes and dreams and sworn eternal friendship” with her (Oliver 12). She puts her heart in the Lord and lives her everyday life in trust and conviction. Mary and Ginny are now happily married and have children who I am sure thy will set as fine examples for as they have done for me.



Although Adriana and Gabriella are both younger than me, they never cease to amaze me. Both very active in extracurricular
activities, they still find time to flourish and grow among family and friends. There has always been a sense of competitiveness instilled in the three of us since we are so close in age. Our father’s motto has always been much like that Dr. Mac, “ whatever you do, give it your best, or don’t do it at all” (Oliver 8). Thus, whatever I do, Adriana and Gabriella come behind me at full speed and do it better. Adriana is at the top of her class, Head Cheerleader, a member of the Mock Trial Team, and an exceptional soccer player. Gabriella is an award winning writer, Head Cheerleader, a member of the basketball, volleyball, and softball teams, and a regular social butterfly. They possess the utmost perseverance and leadership while always maintaining great moral character and empathy for others. Both are devout in their Faith and do not falter at certain temptations that I have embraced in the past. But, most importantly of all, Adriana and Gabriella believe in me when I do not even believe in myself.


As I have often felt overshadowed by my siblings’ accomplishments, I used to long for the time that I would go off to college and be able to establish myself as me. Much like John Schwartz, the acceptance letter to “U.T. offered me a new, anonymous, and exciting start” toward this dream of mine (2). Now, even though I am thrilled to be a new longhorn, I wish I would have cherished my time with my brothers and sisters more and absorbed as much as I could from them. It is not as easy or enjoyable on my own without their guiding hands and words of wisdom; however, each of them has molded me and has impacted my thoughts, my personality, my dreams, and my ambitions. Franny, Hubert, Mary, Ginny, Adriana, and Gabriella are my siblings, my friends, my everything. I can truly say, “They have made a difference in my life” (Oliver 2).

No comments: