Saturday, September 29, 2007

RDB5



I grew up in the small town of Beaumont, Texas. It is the sort of place where everyone knows everyone else and where the high school football game was the most important thing happening on a Friday night. I attended a catholic high school, which was predominantly white and focused on fusing its Catholic values into our educations and everyday lives. Home of Spindletop and the world’s largest fire hydrant, people say Beaumont is the perfect place to raise a family.
Spindletop, the Lucas Gusher, was discovered in 1901, and prompted the oil boom in America.The world's largest fire hydrant stands in front of the Fire Musuem of Southeast Texas. The fire hydrant weighs 4,500 lbs. and could blast 1,500 gallons of water a minute.
Every Sunday I went to church and every day after school I participated in activities ranging from cheerleading to dance to volunteering at the local Shorkey Center. While I enjoyed this “ideal” adolescence, I have always felt that my life has kind of been mapped out for me and that my decisions regarding it were really not my own. So, as one can imagine, my acceptance to the University of Texas at Austin, presented me with a new hope in breaking free of my sheltered and tightly structured life and continuing “(my) pursuit of knowledge” in what I consider one of the greatest and most diverse institutions in the country (Flann 306).

As John Henry Newman stated “ (a university) teaches all knowledge by teaching all branches of knowledge, and in no other way”(312). I feel that UT is successful in fulfilling these requirements. Already my experiences here in Austin, have presented me with new beginnings and opened my mind up to new horizons. There are so many different things to become involved in and so many different types of people to get to know. The prospects at learning are endless and forming and conveying opinions is encouraged. Never before have I been challenged to express my true feelings or to share bits and pieces of myself with those who I am not close to, to immerse myself in the traditions and customs of other cultures, to throw myself full force into my school work, both mind and soul. In Beaumont, I would never get to enjoy the excitement behind a protest or the uncomfortable delight of seeing a hobo riding his bike down the street in a g-string. Although I am not fortunate enough to participate in all aspects of the university, I feel that they all still work inside of me. I believe that we, as students here, will ultimately “be the gainers (of knowledge) by living among those and under those who represent the circle”, the accumulation of an immense array of wisdom and life experiences (Newman 309). As we “learn to respect, to consult, to aid each other”, we will do things beyond what anyone can imagine (Newman 309).

So, the question stands, “Why are YOU here?”. I believe I am here to develop “A habit of mind …which lasts through life, of which the attributes are, freedom, equitableness, calmness, moderation, and wisdom” (Newman 309). I am here to receive an “education which gives (me) a clear conscious view of (my) own opinions and judgments, a truth in developing them, an eloquence in expressing them, and a force in urging them” (Newman 313). I am here to learn, to love, to grow amongst others and in my own skin, to discover my own limits while respecting those around me, to realize my passions, and to fulfill my dreams and goals. I am here to make an impact and to challenge everyone and everything. I am here to find friends and hopefully myself, but most of all, I am here to live my life, fully, confidently, and fruitfully as myself and as nobody else. The time is now for me to venture into the unknown, and I embrace this opportunity with open arms, a hopeful heart, and mind ready to absorb anything the world throws at me.
Me with the World ar my fingertips!

No comments: