Wednesday, January 23, 2008

ODB Religious Literacy and Asian Religions


Tuesday’s discussion really baffled me. Although I respected everyone’s opinions, I felt like my religion was being targeted more than others. At first, I was really thrown off by it and started to long for a “ seemingly less complicated era when constant questioning of religious beliefs and practices (were) not so apparent”, but then I realized that through all of their questioning, I was forced to reevaluate my beliefs and discover why I trusted in them (292). Last night and all of today, I really contemplated upon everyone’s reasonings and my own, and truly reached a better understanding where I stood in my religious journey. While I am certain that I believe in a Christian God, I also believe that all religion is somehow complexly connected and that although each is distinct from another, the similarities are universal. Sivananda states in “Bliss Divine” that “the one message of all saints and prophets of all times and climes, is the message of love” (114). Love (Ahisma), combined with faith seems to unite all religions across the world. Love and faith “(are) the noblest and best of traits that are found expressed in daily life and activities of perfected souls” (Sivananda 38). Thus, with an understanding of these two concepts, comes an understanding and testimony to the importance of religion. Although the world has constantly been evolving and changing since its creation, religion has remained a constant staple throughout history. In today’s society, however, religion has been cast aside for a more self-obsessed culture. People have begun to drift away from organized religion and possess little faith in anything at all. Many have come to see religion as a threat, an excuse for people to stop doing things on their own, a thing to only turn to in the bad times. An institution that used to be based on faith, love, and community, “in conforming (itself) to American culture, (has transformed) Protestantism, Catholicism, and Judaism (to) a little more than parallel paths up the mountain of the American dream” (Prothero 7). While some might argue that the demise of religion is long overdue, we must remember “the fact…that for good or for ill, nearly everything in our culture worth transmitting, everything which gives meaning to life, is saturated with religious influences” (Prothero 128). “Music without sacred music, architecture minus the cathedrals, or painting without the scriptural themes would be eccentric and incomplete, even from a secular point of view” (Prothero 128). History beams with the triumphs of those who were spiritually invested while millions around the world today still practice their religions devoutly. I feel that since religion has endured the tests of time, has influenced some of the most widely known names in history, and still remains a widely essential institution worldwide, that there must be some greater purpose for us all. I like to believe that we are all united through the common links of faith and love and that they will continue to guide us into the future as they have our ancestors before us.

No comments: