Wednesday, January 16, 2008

RDB 14 Bhagavad Gita



The Bhagavad-Gita incorporates inspiration and spiritual advice into an epic tale of the soldier, Arjuna’s meeting with Krishna at the forefront of a major battle. While Arjuna continuously questions Krishna throughout their meeting, he finally renounces his doubts and proclaims that he is ready to do God’s will. Though, I have been raised in the Christian Church, I found it intriguing that many of the same principles and beliefs that I possess guided this Hindu doctrine. As said in the discourses between Arjuna and Krishna, “In this world…there is a twofold path. There is the path of Wisdom for those who meditate and the Path of Action for those who work. No man can attain freedom from activity by refraining from action, nor can one reach perfection by merely refusing to act” (29). When Arjuna declares his willingness to put his faith in the Lord, he surrenders his life to God, ultimately partaking in “the noblest form of action, (sacrifice)” (27). This lesson of total submission and faith was the one that I took closest to heart. It offered me hope and made me realize that “even the most sinful (person), if he worship(s) with his whole heart, shall be considered righteous, for he is treading the right path” (75). I believe that the old saying “actions speak louder than words” continues to be true throughout the world today and I try to exude confidence and show my faith through my actions in my everyday life. I strive to glorify God through my existence here on Earth an am trying to understand the concept of “looking upon success and failure with an equal eye ”(19). Although I fear failure almost more than anything, it is comforting to know that even when I make mistakes and fail in my efforts, I will be forgiven because of the path I have chosen and be loved for who I am. In class we discussed the theme of detachment that is present in the Bhagavad-Gita. While I believe this is somewhat true, I actually see more of a lesson about passion and throwing your whole heart into things that you believe in. When Arjuna finally realizes the glory of God, he is immediately ready to do anything according to His will. While the discourses do mention that passion “fetter(s) the free Spirit of all beings”, I believe that putting your passion into action actually serves as an offering to God Himself and helps the soul grow and develop (113). “God dwells in the hearts of all beings” and by being zealous and courageous, we glorify Him in our efforts (149). We only have one chance to become the people we are meant to be, and we do not want to regret not doing it full heartedly.

No comments: