Monday, November 19, 2007

ODB St. Mary's Cathedral

Our excursion to St. Mary’s Cathedral brought me back to my childhood and made me gain a new appreciation and respect for the Catholic faith. Although I have attended numerous masses with my family and at my Catholic high school over the years, I have never absorbed or come to understand more than I did yesterday. I have always known that Catholicism is a universal religion, but actually observing and taking part in a Spanish service made this concept become a reality to me. Seeing fellow believers of a different culture actively worshiping and professing their faith gave me a sense of hope and reassurance and made me realize the power of the message of Christianity. Even though the entire mass was in Spanish, I was able to understand just about everything and recognize its uniformity with services I had attended in the past. It seems to me that the Catholic Church remains an unwavering force in the changing world around us. The traditions and rituals remained the same as in previous Masses and their consistency only deepened my admiration for their significance. During the prayers, I was able to recall the words in English while interpreting their meanings in Spanish. Although the music was of a Spanish influence, its message was the same. The variety in songs and beats intrigued me and made it obvious how each culture has molded religion to make it unique and relevant to their surroundings. While I have always been skeptical of certain views and rules that the Catholic Church teaches, I now understand people’s attraction to its steadfast beliefs and values that are capable of breaking even the toughest of boundaries. Its unfaltering principles create its history and will continue to guide it into the future. Throughout the service, the story of the Tower of Babel kept entering my mind. I began to wonder if there was a deeper purpose to the story of God creating the language barrier between us. I now believe that it was to instill an even deeper understanding and commitment once we realize that although we may all be different, we are united in our devotion to Him. In Genesis 11:1 it says, “Now the whole world had one language and a common speech”, and I believe that it is up to us to reach this goal once again.

The architecture of St. Mary’s further reminds Christians of their conviction and faith. Nestled between modern buildings in downtown Austin, St. Mary’s Cathedral is reprieve from the busy world outside its doors. Its tall steeples and pointed windows reaching towards the heavens establish the purpose of this life on Earth. The rose window located in the center of the structure casts a warm light of hope upon the church and reminds believers of the incarnation and presence of the Holy Spirit. The statue of the Virgin Mary stands in front of the window welcoming all that come, and reminding us of her importance to our faith through this dedication. Inside the cathedral, the ceilings curve in a shape much like the hull of a ship. Similar to in the Episcopal Church, this shape of the sanctuary calls us to be fishers of men and proclaim our faith the world. The long aisle leads to the altar and the crucifix, maybe symbolizing each individual’s spiritual journey. The altar and crucifix lie below a beautiful blue dome endowed with stars that represents Heaven and our connection with nature. The altar is endowed with a tree that embodies the tree of life from which the first sin came and the simple, yet extraordinary cross above it signifies Jesus dieing for these very sins. The stain glass images that line the walls depict several important people and occurrences throughout the Bible while the Stations of the Cross remind us of Jesus’ painful journey to ensure our salvations. On each side of the altar are images of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a flaming heart shining with divine light, pierced by the lance-wound, and surrounded by a crown of thorns. This symbol is a devotion to Jesus' physical heart as the representation of the divine love for humanity and is an important symbol in the Catholic Church. Also, on the right side of the altar, is a statue of God and Son. This statue glorifies the foundations of the Christian faith. St. Mary’s Cathedral is overflowing with ornate religious symbolism and hidden meaning. It was exciting to explore its architecture and find hope in its significance.

No comments: