Monday, November 5, 2007

RDB 9 :The Garden of Eden


The Garden of Eden

At the beginning of creation, “ the Earth was a formless void” (Genesis 1:2); however, once God molded and constructed everything from the birds in the sky to the fish in the sea, it was a bountiful land full of promise and opportunity. Similar to the garden in E.M Forester’s “The Other Side of the Hedge”, God created the Garden of Eden for mankind to grow and be fruitful in. This garden served as a haven to Adam and Eve amidst a new and strange land surrounding them. Unfortunately since Eve gave into temptation and ate Satan’s apple, mankind was cast out of the Garden of Eden to live on the ordinary terrain of the Earth to learn to thrive and develop alone until realizing the purpose of their journey and finding their way back home.
This picture represents the journey one must take to find his/her way back to the Garden of Eden.

Throughout my high school career, I knew exactly what I wanted and I pursued it without any hesitations. I saw every accomplishment as a way to get ahead and would do anything if it guaranteed success. I guess that I had been instilled with the idea that “every achievement is worthless unless it is a link in the chain of development” (Forester 732). Although I believed that I was living my life fully, I always felt as if I was trapped in this constant competition with those around me. Because of this sense of insignificance, I began to falter in my journey and doubt my abilities while seeking reassurance in many material things. Much like the narrator in “The Other Side of the Hedge”, “I was so tired that I sat down on a milestone to rest” and seemed to throw all of my goals and values away because of it (Forester 729). After some very big mistakes and mishaps along the road, “a little puff of air revived me” (Forester 730). As if by some greater power, I was given the opportunity to attend BigStuf camps in Panama City, Florida just when I thought everything was hopeless.
On the beach during quiet time at BigStuf, Panama City, Florida.

Here, my faith and understanding and appreciation for life were revived and, I left camp rejuvenated and hopeful. After an incredible week, “all of the things I was carrying were scraped off me” and I came to an understanding of my purpose in the world. I felt like I had “(risen) to the surface at last” and beamed with confidence and hope (Forester 730). I think this kind of revelation made me feel closer to God than I ever felt before and in a sense provided me with a glimpse at what life in Heaven or “The Garden of Eden” would be like.
Me and my friends and BigStuf.

Since then I continue to live life the best I can. Although this sense of complete happiness has faded away over time, I still encounter things that momentarily restore its splendor. My journey has continued on to the University of Texas at Austin and I am trying to absorb every minute of it I can. My time here has challenged me more than ever and has sparked passion and wonder in things I never would have imagined. I am constantly confronted with temptations and curiosities that I know are wrong, but end up teaching me a lesson in some peculiar way. I have already been challenged for my faith, learned the importance of time management, and realized that I do not always have to go to parties to have a good time. Similarly, the idea of the narrator’s brother entering the gates at the end of the narrative portrayed the connection amongst us all that should be embraced and cherished. Diversity shows a connection between us all. Here, all of the differnet kinds of people root for the same team.

Through the diversity here on campus, I have already started to appreciate each individual more for his or her own selves and believe that this connection is significant in the road to the “Garden of Eden”. Right now, having two tests, two papers, a ridiculous amount of homework, and my car keys being stolen, has put a significant amount of stress on me and has made me stray away from my faith; however, it is these times of utter frustration and exhaustion that I need to embrace this promise of hope and successes that has been offered to me. I realized as I was reading Forrester’s story that “this is the beginning (of my road) and though it seems to run straight away from (me most of the time), it doubles so often, that it is never far from (the) boundary (of sanctuary and joy) and sometimes (even) touches it” (Forester 732). For some reason, this comforted me and offered me hope. As my journey continues, I am sure I will face many more struggles, but I am sure that I will overcome them. As humankind left the gates that opened up to the world, I look forward to the day when the gates in the Garden will welcome me home, but for now, I push towards a goal, “to what goal (I) do not know…but that it (hopefully) goes forward. (I) strive to excel, (in my) own way, and (have) an impetus…” to live this life to its full potential (Forester 732).
I am not quite sure where my road will take me.

No comments: