Wednesday, November 14, 2007

RDB 11: Ramayana 2 and As You Like It


A Journey through Reality

Exile into woods provides an escape to reality for the main characters of both the Ramayana and William Shakespeare’s “As You Like It”. Coming from a shelterd, court like atmosphere of power and conflict, the characters in both stories are given the chance to absorb and experience their surroundings in a way they never have before. They begin to see life for what it really is and appreciate the simplistic beauty around them. Inspired by the free spirit of their new home, they live and explore, finding love and themselves along the way. As Duke Senior says at the beginning of “As You like It”,

“And this our life exempt from public haunt
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks
Sermons in stones and good in everything”


Sita and Ram, Orlando and Rosalind, Oliver and Celia, Silivus and Phebe, and Touchstone and Audrey, all unearth the good in each other from their encounters in the wood (1079). Sita and Ram, Orlando and Rosalind, Oliver and Celia, Silivus and Phebe, and Touchstone and Audrey, all unearth the good in each other from their encounters in the wood (1079). While the forest’s mysteries seem to unite everyone, it is not without conflict that they come together. Guise seems to play a key role in separating the characters from their happiness, and they must overcome it in order to reunite with it. Sita Asks Ram to capture the deer for her.

In the case of the Ramayana, Ram and Sita expect their “exile to pass like a glad dream” (1024); however, when Sita is hypnotized by the gazelle’s beauty and asks Ram to catch it for her, she unknowingly causes herself and Ram to fall into a trap of capture and separation by the enchantment of Ravana. Thus, Ram must go on a quest to save the one he loves. Similarly in “As You Like it”, Orlando confides in Ganymede who is actually Rosalind in disguise. Although this disguise ultimately brings them closer together, they must uncover and reveal their true identities in order to be together again. In both stories, after the trouble brought on by the guise is overthrown, the characters rejoice in each other’s presence. To the main characters in these stories, “this journey…is like a fulfillment of (their) former life” (1075). As the forest unites them, they receive self-awareness and gratitude for each other. Their exile humbles them and makes them stronger before they venture back home to the life they once knew.

I feel like I have already experienced so much of what these characters experienced during their exile this year. Coming from Beaumont to Austin has really provided me with a glimpse of reality. Everyone here is so diverse and different that it has really instilled me with an appreciation of the individuality and uniqueness within everything and everyone. I have started to see the world through new eyes and long to discover and encounter new things around me. Although my time here as not been without its struggle, I feel like my classmates and I share a special bond through experience and understanding.

My Peers support me through my struggles.

While I fight to maintain my grades and make everyday decisions, I notice the constant support and encouragement that I receive from my peers who are in the same situation as I am. Thus, I think that one of the main lessons to be learned from these stories and all of my experiences is the importance of self-discovery and the awareness of the impact others play along the way. As we go through this life we must remember that are not in it alone and when reality knocks on the door, we will ultimately rely on each other to make it through the day. As Duke Senior said,

“Support him by the arm. Give me your hand,
And let me all your fortunes understand.” (1090).


This significant lesson, as seen in the Ramayana and “As You like it”, is something that should be embraced and shared. It is up to us to face reality together and begin to appreciate it for the perspective that it brings us.

No comments: